Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Safari 3 Public Beta - now for windows as well

Steve Jobs announced the new Safari 3 Public Beta and with an added bonus that it runs on Windows.

According to Apple it loads pages up to 2 times faster than Internet Explorer 7 and up to 1.6 times faster than Firefox 2, and it executes JavaScript up to 2.8 times faster than Internet Explorer 7 and up to 1.6 times faster than Firefox 2.

I installed the XP version and I was not very impressed with it.

It looks nice, pages seem to display faster.

Pages in Japanese do not work at all. I tried to change the font and encoding - all fonts render as dashes. I tried also some pages from UOL news that have an embedded Windows Media player object and the browser crashes. Yahoo and You-tube work.

I still prefer Firefox, but will keep an eye on these developments.

No comments: